The parents association in a school works with the principal, staff and board of management to build effective co-operation and partnership between home and school. The role of the parent’s association is set down in the Education Act 1998 as follows:
A parents association shall promote the interests of the students in a school in co-operation with the board, principal, teachers and students.
The Education Act also sets out two broad tasks for a parents association which are:
- To advise the Principal or the Board on matters relating to the school · To adopt a programme of activities which will promote the involvement of parents in the operation of the school, in consultation with the principal.
- To operate effectively as a Parents Association you need to have mechanisms in place whereby you can establish the views of the parents and pupils on matters relating to the school. In this way you can select activities that will promote parental and student involvement.
While all parents of pupils of a school are members of the parents association, the majority do not need to be involved in the day-to-day activities of the association. Usually the parents association will elect a committee who manage the responsibilities of the parent association of behalf of all the parents. The size and formation of the committee is usually determined by the size of the school and the amount of activities to be undertaken
The following are some of the activities in which Parents Associations might be involved:
- Organising information/social events for new parents to the school
- Organising welcome events for new students to the school
- Arranging talks on topics of interest to parents, e.g. guest speaker on parenting/discipline etc
- Preparing school handbooks/calendars
- Providing support/organisational input to major school events, e.g. communions, confirmations, debs etc
- Channelling parents views on school policy issues to the Principal/Board
- Contributing to school newsletter
- Helping to organise and supervise extra curricular activities
- Organising Fund Raising Events for the school
School Calendar 2015/16
School Term begins on Wednesday the 26th of August 2015.
October 2015 Mid Term Break:
The school will close at 2:30pm on Friday 23rd of October 2015 and reopen on Monday 2nd of November 2015.
The school will close on Tuesday 22nd of December 2015 and will re-open on Wednesday 6th of January 2016.
February Midterm Break:
The school will close at 2:30pm on Wednesday the 17th of February 2016 and reopen on Monday the 22nd of February 2016.
The school will close on Wednesday 16th March 2016 and will re-open on Monday 4th April 2016. (This may be subject to change due to unforeseen school closures)
School will be close at 2:30pm on Friday 29th of April 2016 and reopen on Monday the 9th of May 2016.
School will be closed on Monday the 6th of June 2016 – Public Holiday.
School will close on Friday the 24th of June 2016 for the summer holidays.