This year Scoil Ghrainne is participating in the Yellow Flag Programme. This is an 8 step intercultural programme for both primary and secondary schools. It focuses on promoting inclusion, anti-racism and celebrating diversity in schools. Schools that complete the programme successfully receive a Yellow Flag to display outside their school.
Why we got involved?
- We have always been committed to the spirit of inclusion here in Scoil Ghráinne and we want everyone to know that
- We cater for all faiths and none
- Multicultural student body
- Diversity is something we love to celebrate
- It looked like great fun!
The Diversity Committee
- The Diversity Committee is made up of students, teachers, parents and community representatives.
- We had meetings and discussed how to support inclusion and celebrate diversity.
- We helped to make sure our ideas became actions.
The Intercultural Review
- We completed an Intercultural Review as we wanted to find out how inclusive Scoil Ghráinne really was!
- One class from each year group (1st -6th) was selected at random to participate.
- We used one questionnaire for parents and one for children.]We displayed the results at the entrance to the school for everyone to see.
- We used the results of the review to create an Action Plan for the school
Intercultural Events and Celebrations
We have children from 61 different countries in our school! We love to learn from each other about all the different countries that are represented in our school.
Over the years, we have had many different special weeks and celebrations. These are just SOME of the examples:
- Amnesty International Friendship week
- 1916 Commemorations
- Seachtain na Gaeilge
- Anti-Bullying & Anti-Racism Week
- Irish Traveller and Roma Culture Awareness Week
- An Intercultural Fashion Show
- Interfaith Assemby
- Intercultural Assembly
- Intercultural Coffee Mornings for our parents
- Intercultural Evening
We also celebrate significant days from many different faiths (for example, Eid, Diwali, Christmas, Easter, Hanukkah, Holi, Vesak to name just a few)
Language of the Month
Each month we focused on learning a different language. Some of the languages we learnt about were: Polish, Arabic, Irish and Swahili. We can’t wait to learn some more!
It’s hard to believe we have the month of September behind us. All our children are settling in very well. We have welcomed 4 new children into CROI and 78 new children to Junior Infants.
Enrolment for September 2022/23
We are currently enrolling for our 2022/23 Junior Infant class.