Scoil Ghráinne is currently working towards earning our Active School Flag.
Physical Education in Scoil Ghráinne
Junior and Senior Infant classes have a minimum of two 30 minute PE lessons timetabled per week, 1st – 6th classes have a minimum of one 60 minute lesson per week.
We have a whole school approach to the teaching of PE which supports collaborative planning and management of equipment. Lessons are differentiated to cater for different needs and in the case of unforeseen injuries; activities are adapted to ensure all children are physically active e.g. child with a broken leg can take part in throwing activities.
There are six strands of the PE Curriculum that are covered throughout the year:
|Athletics||Gymnastics||Dance||Outdoor and Adventure|
- Parents are informed of children’s progress in PE both at Parent Teacher meetings each November and in the End of Year Reports.
- Teacher’s use the PSSI lesson Plans to guide yearly and fortnightly planning.
- Fundamental Movement Skills (FMS) are integrated in to every PE lesson using the PDST ‘Move Well Move Often’ manuals as a guide. Four additional sets of the MWMO books were purchased from Laois Education Centre to ensure each class level and Croí have access to their own book to bring to their lessons.
- The ‘Move Well Move Often’ posters which display the teaching points of each fundamental movement skill are framed and on display in the school hall.
The boys and girls in Scoil Ghráinne love to partake in various sports and activities during the school day. Our school’s PE equipment and resources are located in the store room at the back of the PE hall.
The layout of this room allows teachers to access various different PE equipment and resources. The PE equipment and resources in the store room are clearly labelled with written and visual pictures on them. This is great for allowing staff members to easily gather and return items quickly during the school day.
The PE equipment and resources are loved by all the boys and girls in Scoil Ghráinne. Our PE resources include- cones, bibs, beanbags, skipping ropes, hula hoops, sponge balls, footballs, rugby equipment, basketballs, ladders, tennis equipment, badminton equipment, athletics equipment and parachutes.
Aquatics and Swimming
All classes complete the Irish Water Safety PAWS program each year between the months of April to June.
3rd to 6th classes attend six weeks of lessons each year in the National Aquatic Centre with qualified swimming instructors.
Additional Physical Activity
In our school, we love taking part in active breaks many times throughout the day! We do far too many different active breaks to list them all but some of our favourites are GoNoodle, 10 @ 10, Yoga with Adriene, The Body Coach, Cosmic Kids Yoga, Yoga & Corpoideachas le Ciarán ar Cúla4, Run Around Ireland, D.E.A.D. (Drop Everything and Dance) and The Daily Mile. We really enjoyed taking part in the ‘Active Break Every Day’ challenge earlier in the year, so much so, that many of us have continued with it in our classes! Here are some photos of us doing our Daily Mile! As you can see, we are having so much fun! We love having these active breaks as we know they help us to become much fitter and healthier and we can concentrate a lot better and learn even more when we return to learning, after our active break!
We are very lucky to partner with local clubs and teams each year.
- All classes participate in a 6 week block of GAA training with Erin go Bragh
- 5th and 6th classes complete rugby coaching with Leinster Rugby
- 4th class take part in Cycling Safety with Fingal County Council